Adding YaST Installation Sources

First get to the Installation Source screen.

  1. Open YaST - ALT + F2 then type yast
  2. Select Installation Source
  3. Add the desired source. (The following is an example of the Packman source)
  4. Complete the wizard and the source will have been added.

You will now be able to install software from the added source through Software Management.

If you are not sure what to enter for the Server Name and Directory on Server fields then consider the following using the Packman url (as shown in the screenshot).

http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.2/

Server Name: packman.iu-bremen.de
Directory on Server: /suse/10.2/

In other words the Server Name is the domain and the Directory on Server is the directory in which the source is located on the domain.

If given a url you can usually tell what protocol it is. For instance

http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.2/

would be http. You can tell by the protocol specified at the beginning of the url http://. An example of an ftp source would be

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/10.2

You can see that the protocal is ftp as specified with ftp://.

Do not be confused by urls like

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.2/RPMS/

The protocol would still be http.

Note: A good list for sources is http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/12/20/opensuse-102-the-most-complete-list-of-repositories/.

SUSE 10.2 Media

I noticed that SUSE 10.2 did not come with the ability to play back many media formats, although RealPlayer was able to play some.

I searched the web and found that it was quite simple to add the ability to play most media files.

First add the Packman and Guru sources for YaST. If you are new to adding installation sources please refer to Adding YaST Installation Sources.

[Guru]
type = rpm-md
name = Guru
baseurl = http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.2/RPMS/

[Packman]
type = rpm-md
name = Packman
baseurl = http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.2/

Then open Software Management and install the following packages.

  • libxine1
  • xine-ui
  • libdvdcss (I haven't since I don't have dvds to play)

I also installed.

  • MPlayer
  • SMPlayer
After installing the above I have been able to play all the formats I have encountered. Just as a not I use Amarok for my audio playback.

Unreal Tournament 2004 on 64 bit Linux

I successfully installed Unreal Tournament 2004 on SUSE 10.2 and was able to run it with about twice the framerate I get on Windows XP. Next I decided to update Unreal so that I could play multiplayer. After doing so I was no longer able to start the game.

I messed with file permissions and searched the web with little results. Finally I decided to post my problem in the Unreal Forums (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=24929389).

It was figured out that the problem was due to the fact that I was running 64 bit SUSE. The fix was simple as is described in the thread posted above.

Microsoft IIS 5 - Windows 2000 Server - ASP .NET

Although I dislike IIS I and .NET I was forced to setup a server running the two due to an application that required them.

I installed Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4, various components, and locking down the directory permissions (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271071). Running the application resulting in the famous Metabase issue.

After messing around for a couple of days with no luck I reinstalled Windows 2000 Server and the various things mentioned above. This resulted in the same problem. I reviewed the system event log and noticed that it was failing to load the profile for the SYSTEM user. Just for kicks I set the directory permission on Documents and Settings to allow EVERYONE access. This fixed the problem but created another. This time it was having trouble "mapping" the App_GlobalResources folder.

I searched the web for this issue and found the following article: http://www.thejoyofcode.com/Failed_to_map_the_path_App_GlobalResources.aspx. The fix was to changed the permissions on C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys to allow the ASPNET user to have read and modify permissions.

IIS and .NET were finally satisfied and I just had to setup SQL Server and the remaining application settings.

I rebooted the machine and wouldn't you figure I received the Metabase issue again. Frustrated I just set the Documents and Settings permission to EVERYONE read access. Shockingly enough that fixed the problem.

It is interesting that Microsoft puts such necessary files in Documents and Settings since that is used for user data not libraries etc.

Another one of the wonderful experiences you get to enjoy when using Microsoft products.

Tags:

Pages

Subscribe to boombatower RSS